Now over 400 acres, the St. Michaels property, which was preserved in 2010 and expanded in 2017, is an expanse of farm fields and forests on the edge of Hopewell Borough. From many parts of this preserve the visitor has long views, lending the preserve a wonderful expansiveness which promotes a sense of well-being in anyone who walks its many farm roads and paths. From 1896 until 1973 this was the home of St. Michael’s Orphanage and Industrial School which was operated by the Catholic Diocese of Trenton. After the orphanage was closed the building where they lived and went to school was torn down and most of the land was leased to a local farmer. Although there were plans to eventually develop this land, nothing was ever done and in 2010 D&R Greenway and several partners succeeded in purchasing it. It is now preserved as open space forever.